Thursday, January 24, 2008

A song that I heard...

So, the other day I was going through Pandora.com, I don't know if any of you heard of it, but it's a pretty cool website. Try it out. Anyway, I came across this song, and realized that it has something to do with my project...kinda. So, I googled the lyrics and here is the link because they are really long.


The beginning of the song where she says that, "Cinderella's on her bedroom floor She's got a Crush on the guy at the liquor store Cause Mr. Charming don't come home anymore", reminded me of my post on enchanted and how Prince Charming isn't so charming anymore. Because In Enchanted Giselle falls for Robert instead of Edward (Prince Charming) which is like this. If Cinderella falls in love with the guy from the liquor store he may have some baggage with him, just like Robert had in Enchanted (his wife left him, and he's a single father struggling to have a relationship) which shows that society is trying to get away from the idea of perfection that Disney and other authors have given Prince Charming as a characteristic.

The middle of the song has a lot of fun references to other maidens in Fairy Tales like Snow White and Sleeping Beauty.

The ending is what I really found interesting. With in the last verse Bareillis repeats the chorus however adds a line in the middle, "You're so worried bout the maiden though you know She's only waiting spent the whole life being graded on the sanctity of patience and a dumb appreciation but the story needs some mending and a better happy ending...", which I find very interesting. It shows that women have the power to make decisions for themselves and they shouldn't wait around for their "Prince Charming". It's important to take charge, and that's the only way of having a happier ending.

Ok, so Sara Bareillis introduced us to princesses that are just like everyday girls (doing chores and falling for unworthy guys), and gives us an entirely different moral at the end of the song than what I have seen in my previous readings. However, I think it's safe to say that this is definitely one of the best morals I have ever run across when dealing with Fairy Tale-like characters. I think that she's trying to say that every girl is a princess and shouldn't wait around for Prince Charming and take control of their life.

So, yeah, it isn't an actual Fairy Tale, but you must admit it does kick some major butt!
-Nicole
=]


No comments: